9350 S Spaulding Ave, Evergreen Park, IL
Over one hundred years ago, while other towns surrounding Chicago were requesting annexation to survive, Evergreen Park boldly decided to declare its independence. The population at the time was approximately 500 people. On December 20, 1893, 51 residents turned out, where 40 of them voted for incorporation and four square miles of area became the Village of Evergreen Park. Many of the original settlers were hard working farm families.
The Village acquired its name from the park located at 97th Street and Homan Avenue, originally intended to be the center of town. This part of the village was laid out to resemble Paris, with its wagon wheel appearance, but development in other directions has since caused it to be a residential section. The center of Evergreen Park is now 95th Street and Kedzie Avenue. From those few early settlers in the 1800s through the pre-war years of truck gardens, the post–war years and population boom of the 1950s, to its present stature as one of the leading southwest suburbs of Cook County, Evergreen Park continues to progress and flourish.